Virginia's Eastern Shore first served Native American as hunting and fishing grounds; later a hideout for Pirates and later still a private setting for well-heeled travelers. About 1840 Nathan Cobb left Cape Cod in his schooner to find a better climate for his wife. Struck by the beauty of the Eastern Shore's barrier islands, he settled on a little island about seven miles long. Soon thereafter he discovered the monetary reward of salvaging the ships that wrecked in the uncharted waters and bought the island for $20 and 100 bushels of salt. By 1876 the island was known as Cobb's Island and the family sold a small portion of their island to the United States Government for construction of a Coast Guard Station. In 1936 the Coast Guard decided to replace an aging structure with the improvements described here. There are few changes to the Colonial Revival design created by the Coast Guard's Civil Engineer's office under Franklin Roosevelt's Civil Works Administration program. The structure served the Coast Guard for 28 years and was decommissioned and left vacant in 1964. In 1973 The Nature Conservancy (TNC) began its campaign to protect the barrier islands. Today, 14 undeveloped islands, including Cobb, are included in the Virginia Coast Reserve protecting the Eastern Shore communities as well as thousands of acres of pristine salt marshes, tidal mudflats and shallow bays. By 1998 the station had suffered substantial deterioration. TNC loaded the building onto a barge and brought it to a location off Oyster Harbour to be restored. It took three years. The Keeper's cottage and secondary buildings were added to complement the original Station and provide a superb environment for the individual, the sportsman or the corporation. In all there are over 11,000 square feet of liveable space that includes 10 bedrooms, seven full baths (two handicapped accessible) and three handicapped accessible half baths. A chair lift/elevator serves two of three floors. The professional kitchen is an opportunity for the chef or the ambitious host. The dining hall will serve your friends or your conference group. The original Boathouse can seat up 28 or host 100 people for a Retreat, B & B or, with large drop-down screens (2) provide a video setting for the family compound. The Property is 32.3 acres -17 acres tidal salt marsh with 4 acres of intertidal emergent and scrub/shrub wetlands. There are five acres of high ground and forest. The latter includes Short Pine, Red Cedar and Wax Myrtle. Baccharis (perennial shrub) and Phragmites (common reed) are invasive but serve the beneficial purpose of soil stabilization and windbreak. Here, too, is Elderberry and wild fennel. Cobb Island Station has direct access to kayaking channels in Brockenberry Bay and deep water access in Oyster Harbour. The present owner has obtained a permit for construction of a private deep-water dock in Oyster Harbor valid until June 8, 2012 when reapplication will be required if not constructed as designed. (Permit and designs available on request.) Virginia's Coast Reserve is renowned for the protected and pristine character of the barrier islands. Here is unparalleled sport fishing including the mighty Tarpon but also channel bass, bluefish and stripers. The seaside marine life includes flounder, croaker, sea bass and tautaug. Blue crab, clams and oysters grow wild and offshore fishing for tuna, marlin and wahoo is nearby. The Station is in the Atlantic Flyway, a globally important coastal migration corridor. Migratory routes from central and eastern Canada converge on Virginia's Eastern Shore for the mallard, black duck, pintail, greenwing teal, brant, canada and snow geese and the canvasback.